vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] wondering about network manager

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] wondering about network manager
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:16:01 +0100

On Saturday 17 August 2002 18:58, you wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> i was just wondering about something. in the diagrams that bill had on the
> website, it talked about a network port manager. i know those diagrams are
> out of date and everything, but are we having a port manager? does gw do
> any of that stuff or just use the same port for all traffic? cause if not
> anything else i would like webservices to be able to expose their port of
> choice. anyways, i'm just looking to see if that still exists. donĀ¹t know
> much about it.

Bill was being 'general' about the network port manager.
This was the entity that handled all of the network communication, whether it
be LDS2LDS or requests for webservices from the VRS.

This diagram was drawn up before a lot of the underlying architecture had
been thought about in great detail and understood fully.

The Network Server(s) are the entities that now handle the offsite traffic to
the VRS (NOT the LDS2LDS traffic).  An example of a Network Server instance
would be a Jabber server.  Apache is another Network Server, and the idea is
that you would have as many network server 'types' as protocols you want to
support - you just plug in,  configure and go.

Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Ltd.
  "Internet Technologies, Distributed Systems and Tuxedo Consultancy"
  E: address@hidden  W: http://www.nfluid.co.uk