vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Testing

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Testing
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:17:48 +0100

Well this is cool.
And as Goldwater is the layer onto which we're building the application this
is all sorted out for you (ie the multi LDS on a single machine).

You can boot multiple seperate instances of Goldwater on a single machine and
have them communicate as though they were distibuted across several machines
(the point being that the application layer has no concept of the network,
which is why this works).

Also each Goldwater application has it's own logging facility, fully
timestamped of course.  Programs log out to one of more categories, and the
logging level may be switched dynamically to stop rather verbose items being
logged, or to turn certain log event on when required.

For instance, an application may write a log entry against one or more of the
followint 'types':
Audit
SQL
Debug
Flow
Data
Control
Error
Serious Error
(there are more I think....)

and you can enable which 'types' are currently enabled and outputting to the
log.

The log entries are marked with the 'type' the entry was written against, so
a grep can grab what you want.

The gw_log function will need to be integrated with portableNet via pInvoke,
but it's an excellent logging system, plus all the logs will be together.

Log example attached.