vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] GW terminology: "server", "client"

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] GW terminology: "server", "client"
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:46:31 -0700

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 13:03, Chris Smith wrote:
> A GWServer is an executable that contains GWServices (exported
> functions that oher goldwater 'agents' may call).  It is these
> GWServer executables that goldwater boots.
>
> A client (no GW prefix!) is anything that calls a GWService.

Thanks Chris.  It all makes sense now; it really is a client-server
setup, not just a p2p message-passing setup.  This is always the
slowest part of learning something -- just learning the basic
reference frame, with its terminology, assumptions, and so on.  But
we're rapidly getting there, and once we do and we're all on the same
page....we'll rock. :-)

> GWServer  - A bootable execuable that provides GWService(s)
> GWService - A function that does a unit of work
> GWClient - An executable that can call, but not provid GWService(s)
> client    - anything currently calling a GWService

I'm a bit fuzzy here on how we distinguish a GWClient from a "client".
Is it that a GWClient is a static description (ie, a description
which applies and always applies to a given program by virtue of its
code containing calls to GWServices) while a "client" is a dynamic
role (ie, a role which a process takes on during run-time when it
calls a GWService)?  That would make sense...

> Hmm.  I think that summary should go in the documentation!!

I wish I could write some documentation, but first I need to read
some!  :0)

eric
--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi