vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] vrs momentum

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] vrs momentum
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:43:21 -0700

<agile development methodology rant>

I mentioned this in private communication, so I'll mention it again
here publicly.  The project we're looking at is so big, and our
resources limited, that we're at a severe risk of getting caught in
analysis paralysis, trying to do too much planning and design and
never actually developing anything.

I'd like to vote for the agile development principle of always having
a working piece of software.  What this means is that we should start
with a minimal design -- a design for a tiny sub-project that we can
design in an hour.  Write up a design for that, implement it in the
next week, make sure it works, then start adding functionality bit by
bit.  We can have design talks on bigger stuff proceeding in
parallel, but we gotta make sure we're coding and we have a working
system at all times.

If we try to do up-front design of large pieces of this project we'll
get quagmired.  Top priority is to have a working system, even if it
isn't yet exactly what we want.

</obnoxiousness ;-) >

eric

--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi