vrs-development

[Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]Add Dynamic DNS to DotGNU

From: Chris Smith
Subject: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]Add Dynamic DNS to DotGNU
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 15:52:59 +0100

On Thursday 02 May 2002 21:12, Jonathan P Springer wrote:

> The key point that I hope all will remember is that we MUST separate
> service names from physical addressing.  Perhaps its obvious to others,
> but it wasn't until I saw Seth's memo that I realized the danger.

I've always seen this as a problem.
The VRS kind-of addresses the problem by having services deployed across a
cluster of machines.  Each machine in the cluster may serve a service, but
it's not the only one.

So we end up with the situation of a call for service:

reference.of.a.vrs/which/service/to/request

the traditional 'domain' part will resolve to the IP addresses of all
machines in the cluster that are publically accessable.  It doesn't matter
which one you use, as any one of them get you access to the cluster.

However, machines may come and go from the cluster, and if they are
publically available (ie they have the necessary network servers installed
like HTTP etc) then the 'DNS' (or whatever) needs to be dynamically updated
in response.

And this is an area where the VRS project has a problem.

So at what level are we looking to seperate service names from addresses?
No one else could register a service
'reference.of.a.vrs/which/service/to/request' in the same VRS because there
would be a clash, and if it were in another VRS (or another dotGNU
deployment) then the 'reference.of.a.vrs' bit would be different.

Okay, having read that back I think I've missed the point some where....
I'm sure you'll point it out!

Cheers
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Limited.
  "Internet Technologies, Distributed Systems and Tuxedo Consultancy"
  E: address@hidden  W: http://www.nfluid.co.uk