vrs-development

[Vrs-development] thoughts

From: Tim Terlegård
Subject: [Vrs-development] thoughts
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:43:51 +0100

Howdy!

What about a platform that supports Mobile Agents (essentially program code
and state that can be sent over the network to be executed on another
computer), VPN, distributed power and space? On top of this one could
implement almost anything (by using those features). A Web Service (or any
service) could distribute the power for calculating the highest prime number.
A Mobile Agent could be sent to visit a number of servers (for network
management purposes), collect information about them and travel back to the
original host to return the results. An organisation could use this as a
distributed file system. I don't see what one couldn't implement on top of
that platform  :-)

I recently finished my thesis about Network Management and I've gotten quite
interested in distributed systems, mobile agents etc. It'd be very exciting
developing the platform I described. This platform or middleware could be
used for almost anything, web services and advanced network management among
other things. But VRS maybe covers this? Perhaps SEE/DEE as well?

-- Tim