vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] CMM Messages

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] CMM Messages
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 07:49:19 -0800 (PST)

--- Chris Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> <sound of a struck symbol!>
> <and the crowd go wild....>

hehe ... sorry for being so dense.  I kept thinking of
GW as a communication protocol and it's associated
code.

To harden my understanding, it's a form of middleware
(as if that word clarifies anything  :0) that extends
from interprocess calls on the same machine seamlessly
to network rpc type calls.

How are calls passed locally between processes, with
sockets, shell pipes, or something else?

A question comes to my mind about just how scaled up
we want an individual LDS to be anyhow.  One thing we
have to remember is that the LDS will be running on
host machines, as a guest, so to speak.  It probably
would not be playing nice as a guest to consume vast
amounts of the host's resources.  We may elect for
this reason to not use GW internally.  And as you
mentioned, normal calls methods are more efficient and
faster.  An interesting design trade-off here.

> On the subject of clients, I was thinking:
>
> One GWClient would be the bit of code that Apache
> invokes to get a webservice request into the LDS
> (A CGI that makes a GWService call....)
>
> There'd probably be another client which is cron'd
> to call a GWService periodically to perform timed
> tasks (like polling things etc).

This sounds like a shell and scripts glues the system
together?

> A command line GWClient to allow system
> administration
> of the LDS application (though I'm trying to think
> of
> a way that the Goldwater administration tool may be
> hooked into to allow application level
> configuration).

This would be in the CLuster Manager group.  We might
also use a web-based html interface like Webmin.  We
do prsumably have apache aboard.

> And some sort of client to allow remote LDS's to
> subscribe etc (unless this is done through Apache).
>
> So in effect, non-goldwater components are
> effectively
> clients of Goldwater if they make GWService calls.

How are such calls packaged?

> >  And I was hoping that could be done in stages,
> with a
> > hybrid perl/C intermediate working system.  But
> > finally, any interpretor has to go.
>
> Useful - we could get other developers on board to
> help do this.

You did say that you use perl and GW together.  Could
you snip me some examples?