vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Encrypted NFS with OpenSSH and Linux

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Encrypted NFS with OpenSSH and Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:12:32 +0000

On Thursday 14 February 2002 12:47, Bill Lance wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Found this article:
>
> http://www.samag.com/documents/s=4072/sam0203d/sam0203d.htm

Very interesting idea.  Basically they're deploying an encrypted tunnel
through which they're pumping NFS traffic.

Using this technique, any traffic could be pumped through.

We need to start thinking seriously how LDS's are going to communicate.

Clients talk to LDS's via SOAP over a suitable transport protocol.
LDS's talk to LDS's via what?
If we close it up and use our own protocol, then we can make it nice and fast.
However, using an open protocol may allow other applications to look like an
LDS and join the fun (at the expense of processing overhead).

Hmm.  I'm leaning towards a closed protocol (can still be XML over this
protocol).

Chris

--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Limited.