vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]The Worldwide Computer

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Re: [DotGNU]The Worldwide Computer
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:52:45 -0800 (PST)

--- Chris Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> Okay.  Are you suggesting :
>
> Client -> VRS -> Private_LDS
>        <-     <-------+
>
> ... in that the VRS that the client contacted
> directly for the 'non
> distributed resource' performs the request on the
> clients behalf?

There are two possibilities, both encoded in the
component.  It could act as you described woth the
proxy in both directions.  Or, to sole-source server
could respond directly.  Depends on if the server
wishes to remain masked.

I'm not sure what you mean by a private LDS.  If the
sole-source server is responding directly to requests
from the proxy, there is no reason for an LDS to be
involved at all.

> > The other approach was also mentioned real early
> on.
> > A service can be registered and flagged so that it
> can
> > be requested only when the owners LDS is online.
>
> Yeah - we've not talked about this recently.
>
> > This may make sense for 'Passport' like things
> such as site
> > passwords and credit card transactions. This
> creates
> > the possibility that the data can then be drawn
> > directly from the users node and not stored in the
> > Cluster Repository, in effect a sole-source server
> > connected directly to the Cluster, not a remote
> one
> > like the first example.

Is this what you mean as a private LDS?

> Yeah, but there is a distinction here, in that
> availablility is transient and
> controlled from the Node Discovery Server - probably
> - as LDS's of this type
> come up and down they need to tell the NDS about
> this.  When clients (or
> other LDS's) fail to contact an LDS, then they too
> need to tell the NDS about
> this so the NDS can decide whether it wants to stop
> serving that LDS's
> service details - See post

http://subscribe.dotgnu.org/pipermail/developers/2002-February/001985.html

I'm confused about what you are refereing to here.
One pass is the mechanisms within the Cluster and
LDS's to point nodes to other nodes, particularly on
login.

Then there's the meta-issue of UDDI type interfaces to
the services offered by a Cluster.

> Unless they're files that are within the sandbox.
> I think basically they'd all have to be within the
> Virtual Computer that
> we're effectively talking about.  If you put a file
> in the Virtual Computer's
> filespace, then there must be methods to access the
> file too.  Now these can
> be properties of the filespace itself as well as
> properties of the entity in
> question.

humm.. indeed they can be