Re: Vileserv on macOS issue

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Vileserv on macOS issue
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 05:19:15 -0500

On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 03:56:13AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 03:08:48PM +1100, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 at 09:33, Robert Sturrock <robert@sturrock.id.au> wrote:
> > > read(0x4, "/Users/rns/tmp/fortune-cookie.txt\n\n\0", 0x2000)
> > > = 35 0
> > > write(0x1, "/Users/rns/tmp/fortune-cookie.txt\n\n\n\0", 0x24)
> > > = 36 0
> >
> > That looks pretty much what I would expect vileserv to do: it reads
> > from the socket, and writes to stdout, which is a pipe to the running
> > vile instance.
> >
> > > Any clues as to where the issue might be or how I might be better debug
> > > this?  I suspect I’m missing some obvious here!
> >
> > Not quite sure what's going on.  You could also trace the vile
> > process, where you should see a corresponding read from the pipe.
> >
> > In addition to that, I'd start putting some print statements into the
> > readfiles subroutine in Vileserv.pm.  Anything sent to stdout there
> > should appear in the messages buffer.  Make sure to ":set pm" first to
> > cause that buffer to popup.
> >
> > Then just put lines in to see what's going wrong, say adding:
> >
> >   print "Entering readfiles\n";
> >
> > at the start of that subroutine (line 171), then:
> >
> >   print "Got file $fileName\n";
> >
> > after the "chomp $fileName;" statement.  Keep adding statements until
> > you find what is not working as expected.
> >
> > About the only thing which springs to mind that may be a problem is
> > that the code uses newlines to delimit lines, and Macs at some point
> > used carriage returns.  Probably not the case since OS X though.
> >
> > One unrelated, and slightly annoying thing that I noticed is that
> > printing to the minibuffer now elicits a warning.  Must look into what
> > changed in more recent Perl versions.
> >
> >   :perl use warnings; print "foo\n";
> >
> > for example produces a warning about an uninitialised value, almost
> > certainly in the guts of perl.xs.  I'll maybe poke at that over
> > Christmas.

fwiw, I can reproduce this.

> I haven't gotten to this either - I'm currently investigating Chris Green's
> report, expecting to complete that this week (so far, looks like a small
> change to map.c which could be applied to 9.8x in Debian).
>
> Perhaps I'll do something with this as well.

I did take a look at this, yesterday, but it "just worked" for me.
However, that is on macOS 12.6.2 (Monterey) - a machine that I'll
upgrade to Ventura "soon".

I'm generally using MacPorts - the initial report here doesn't seem
to tell me whether it's only XCode or +MacPorts or +brew.

I have a couple of older Macs which stop at High Sierra.
Perhaps I can retest on those, e.g., upgrading the MacOS port.

Speaking of that, it seems that it might improve things to add
a perl variant to the port (to make building this more predictable).

https://guide.macports.org/chunked/reference.variants.html

However, my ongoing updates to configure scripts have taken a lot of time...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net