Re: Markdown syntax file

From: Gerard Lally
Subject: Re: Markdown syntax file
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 23:47:28 +0000

On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 06:35:18PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 11:10:51PM +0000, Gerard Lally wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think so.  Referring to
> > >
> > > https://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/
> > >
> > > it says that's a superset of markdown.  vile's "txt" mode can be fooled
> > > into doing _part_ of markdown, but it's not really that close.
> > >
> > > I was using it for that a month or two ago, and concluded that it would
> > > require yet another syntax filter to do the job, and added that to my
> > > to-do list (but as usual I'm working on other stuff).
> >
> > Thank you, Thomas. I'll see what I can come up with myself in the
> > meantime. I'm under a little pressure myself, and philosophy, not
> > hacking, is my area, which is why I tried to pull a fast one by asking!
>
> actually syntax highlighters are relatively easy to code -- but I spend
> all of my time on things that aren't that easy :-(

I can't even begin to imagine. The documentation for xterm alone is
enough to give me a lifetime of horrors.

But New Year is an opportune moment to say a sincere thank you for all
the work you do, on vile and other software.

I am just returning to vile now, but I use other software like xterm all
the time, and am very grateful for it.