Re: Fonts for xvile in linux - where to find some nice ones?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Fonts for xvile in linux - where to find some nice ones?
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 15:25:52 -0400

On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 01:11:30AM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> There is quite a bit of difference in how traditional X11 bitmap fonts
> and freetype fonts are selected and rendered
> (https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/unix/XFontTypes gives a
> reasonable summation) but the main thing is that from the API level
> they are not interchangeable.  XTerm has specific code to handle
> rendering of fonts selected via -fn (server bitmap) vs -fa (client
> rendered scalable).  I don't believe that xvile has handling for the
> latter, so is limited to traditional server provided bitmap fonts.

agreed - the APIs are very different.  There was no _technical_ reason
that they had to be incompatible...

Having both in xterm makes it complicated.  If/when I find time to
do TrueType for xvile, it'll be one or the other at configure/make
time.

However, I mostly use vile in xterm, and after _that_, winvile.

I was just starting to review where I was with winvile in Windows 10,
which had two gotchas that I want to have out of the way before
making new installers.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net