Re: [vile] Tips for improving UTF-8 display?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Tips for improving UTF-8 display?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:05:46 -0400

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 07:58:25AM -0700, Marc Simpson wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> I've recently been editing files containing less common unicode characters,
> e.g.
>
> ---8<---
> «🐧␤»
> «🔔␤»
> «⚾︎␤»
> ---8<---
>
> Unfortunately, these don't display too well in Vile (with either
> ncurses or ncursesw): see https://imgur.com/a/qLGfc for a comparison
> of Vile (9.8t, latest from Tom's vile-snapshots repo), Vim 8 and
> BBEdit.
>
> Any suggestions for improving character rendering here?

not immediately - vile's only displaying 16-bit, no-combining-characters.
It doesn't lose the bits...

The characters you point out are >16-bits, of course.

When I implemented that, I had in mind that there might be some need to
integrate the wide(r) character type with the buffer content.  I don't
recall that happening (and don't see it in a quick check of the source).

That's something I might work on after 9.8t (which will be mostly just
catch-up, tidying up some work I started to update the Visual Studio
ports).  At the moment I'm most of the way done with the same thing
for lynx (one regression to fix, one feature to add).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net