Re: [vile] How can I run xvile like "gvim -f"?

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] How can I run xvile like "gvim -f"?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 20:32:13 +0000

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 01:47:54PM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
>  > Chris Green writes:
>  > >On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 01:06:47PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
>  > >> I am invoking xvile from a firefox extension (textern if anyone is
>  > >> interested, it's a replacement for "It's all text" which doesn't work
>  > >> on Firefox 57 or newer).
>  > >>
>  > >> For this to work xvile needs to stay in the foreground when invoked,
>  > >> i.e. it needs to to what gvim does with "gvim -f".  Is there any way
>  > >> to get it to do this or will I need some sort of wrapper?
>  > >>
>  > >To be more explicit I need xvile to not detach from the calling
>  > >process.  This is so that the caller blocks until xvile exits.
>  >
>  > I guess I don't understand what you're asking.  When I run xvile,
>  > the program stays in the foreground and the shell waits for the
>  > program to end.  If that's what you're asking for, then as far as I
>  > can tell, the answer is "It does that by default."
>
> i just said the same thing privately to chris -- forgot to cc: the list.

... and here's my reply (copied back to the list):-

> i guess i'm a little confused, now that i've actually fired up xvile.
>
> if i start xvile from a shell, the shell waits for it to exit.  if i
> start xvile with "xvile -fork", then it doesn't wait -- i.e., i get a
> fresh prompt.

You're right!  So what does +fork do?  ... or is it just the default
behaviour?

Whatever it doesn't do the same as 'gvim -f'.

> do you perhaps have an X resources file that's changing xvile's behavior?

No, as above I think mine works the same as yours.  The question is
how do I make it do what 'gvim -f' does (and what is that?).

--
Chris Green