[vile] How to use map! to enter 'special' UTF8 characters?

From: Chris Green
Subject: [vile] How to use map! to enter 'special' UTF8 characters?
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 22:08:32 +0000

I'm trying to set up a single key to enter a 'tick'.  The UTF code for
this is u2714.  I can successfully enter the character in vile using
^Vu2714 but I can't get a map! to enter the character for me.

I have put the following in my .vilerc:-

    map! #4 ✔
    map! #5 ABCDE

The F5 key works, it inserts ABCDE but F4 gives me ✔.

I'm not sure how well this will all get through E-Mail.  On my screen
there is a 'tick' after the #4 above and after '... F4 gives me '
there is a sequence â\u009C\u0094.

How can I get a ✔ mapped?

--
Chris Green