Re: [vile] brace matching

From: Wayne Cuddy
Subject: Re: [vile] brace matching
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 13:23:20 -0400

On Sat, Apr 02, 2016 at 10:06:50AM -0700, Marc Simpson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Wayne Cuddy <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Is it known that using the goto-matching-fence function on the { on line
> > 1 below will move the cursor to the '}' on line 2 and not the one on
> > line 4?
>
> FWIW, this is traditional vi behaviour (unsurprisingly, given the lack
> of contextual information).

Huh, indeed you are correct. Hard to believe I never ran across this
before. Nested brace blocks are handled correctly and I mistakenly
thought the processing of fence-pairs was handled "specially" in
cppmode to account for things like this. I figure for 99% of use cases
the traditional vi behavior is useless.

When vim is in 'nocompatible mode' it does what's expected. I'm
assuming vile doesn't have an option to enable this behavior.