Re: [vile] Another compat question

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Another compat question
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 19:28:21 -0500

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 03:09:35PM -0800, Marc Simpson wrote:
> I've noticed that a successful line substitution moves the cursor,
> leaving it at the final replacement location. Here's a quick
> comparison:
>
> Initial buffer (cursor marked with the caret):
>
>   foo bar baz
>   ^
>
> after :s/b/c/g in vile:
>
>   foo car caz
>           ^
>
> after the same operation in nvi, ex-050325, vim:
>
>   foo car caz
>   ^
>
> Is this behaviour configurable?

no - though it would be fairly easy to implement.  A few commands are
marked in cmdtbl as NOMOVE, and the command-executor checks that to
restore the cursor position after completing a command.

I seem to recall that the behavior was discussed quite a while ago
(Paul Fox may recall).  We've added a few modes (such as alt-tabpos)
to smooth out differences between vile and vi...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net