Re: [vile] Is there a way to use xvile in a pipe?

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] Is there a way to use xvile in a pipe?
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 10:57:38 +0100

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 05:28:19AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> [...]
Hmm, I looked at vile-pager, it doesn't really address the problem too
well.   I'm trying to replace my use of vile's encryption with
something better but I want to keep a simple interface such that I'm
less likely to screw things up when editing an encrypted file.

At present I just have a trivial script:-

    echo -n "$1 Pwd: "
    stty -echo
    read pwd
    stty echo
    vile -k $pwd /home/chris/.notes/$1

This means it feels like an ordinary edit, I save with ZZ and
everything is done.

I looked at macros/gnugpg.rc but that involves using extra commands
and one is *very* likely to just do ZZ to exit and it's all messed up!

I'm hoping to use ccrypt (*much* more straightforward to use than gpg
or openssl, no unnecessary key generation, etc.) so it's easy to pipe
the file into xvile:-

    ccat <encrypted file> | xvile

No copies in temporary files etc.  (OK, it's in memory somewhere but
that's inevitable if I want to edit it!).  All I want is a way to be
able to hit ZZ which will squirt the file out of xvile back through
the following:-

    | ccrypt > <encrypted file>

I guess the simplest way for the moment might be to create a private
RAM disk on the fly and use that, it's not ideal though.

Or, altrnatively I make a custom .vilerc that changes ZZ to encrypting
the current buffer (but I'm not sure if that's possible using ccrypt)
and then saving it.

--
Chris Green