Re: [vile] How to build vile in a 'Jail shell' where uname isn't availab

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] How to build vile in a 'Jail shell' where uname isn't available?
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 07:25:42 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----

perhaps - config.guess does not use an absolute path when running "uname".
You could make a simple shell script this does an "echo" of the information,
and call that "uname". In the config.guess script it does this:

UNAME_MACHINE=`(uname -m) 2>/dev/null` || UNAME_MACHINE=unknown
UNAME_RELEASE=`(uname -r) 2>/dev/null` || UNAME_RELEASE=unknown
UNAME_SYSTEM=`(uname -s) 2>/dev/null` || UNAME_SYSTEM=unknown
UNAME_VERSION=`(uname -v) 2>/dev/null` || UNAME_VERSION=unknown

so the script has to have a case statement for those options, e.g.,

#!/bin/sh
case .$1 in
.-m) echo i386;;
.-r) echo 2.6.9-1;;
.-s) echo Linux;;
.-v) echo anything;;
esac

However, you may still run into problems later, since config.guess
takes that information and makes some complicated check to see which
flavor it needs.  I'm looking for instance at

https://github.com/gittup/ncurses/blob/gittup/config.guess

lines 970 and later.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>