Re: [vile] new vile user

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] new vile user
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 20:44:51 -0500

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:17:26PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> hi, i'm a new user of vile.
> i'm trying to find a way to
> 1) show the file modification time in the modeline, if is possible
> (something like (strftime('%Y/%m/%d %a %T')) in vim); i have tried
> to define a user-variable, like
> setv %myvariable="strftime('%Y/%m/%d %a %T')" i've tried different
> modality without result

vile would do it like this:

setv %myvariable &date '%Y/%m/%d %a %T' &ftime $cfilname

but

> 2) show the fileformat and the fileencoding of the file; i have
> tried the $encoding but the result is 8-bit (my locale is set to
> UTF-8)

One of these may help:

setv %myencoding $file-encoding
setv %xxencoding &local file-encoding

However, in both cases the description of modeline mentioning a "variable"

   |---------+--------------------------------------------------------------|
   | %{name} | any internal mode/variable value, given its name             |

may only work for variables beginning with "$" (if so, I could probably
make that work with little effort).  vile doesn't do function-evaluation
in modeline-format though (I suspect that would be more work).

> 3) tell vile to return to the last position when opening files

it doesn't save that information when it exits - though it may be possible
to write a very complicated macro :-(

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net