Re: [vile] problem with 'wide characters' (utf-8) under macosx

From: j. van den hoff
Subject: Re: [vile] problem with 'wide characters' (utf-8) under macosx
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 11:32:52 +0100

a further observation: the test file I've used just contains the lines

i.e \u00E4 and \u00F6. in the show-variables list there is then one entry:

$bufname = ä

in both terminal emulators (urxvt, Terminal.app). here is the strange thing (for me): in urxvt the file content is displayed properly, but `bufname' is diplayed as

 $bufname = ä  (hope this goes through the mail as intended...)

while in Terminal.app it's the other way round: the file content is diplayed via the
utf-8 hexcodes and `bufname' appears correctly displayed as

$bufname = ä.

More important, I think I've found the "solution" just now: I looked hard at my .vilerc again and found a setting `set file-encoding=auto' (it seemed to be required at one point in the past but I can't recall the reason why I added this anymore). just deactivating it leads to proper
display in the Terminal.app.

so it seems it was just my fault after all. apologies for "spamming" the list ... but while I am at it: reading the help regarding `file-encoding' did not really clarify to me what was wrong with the `auto' setting (and then only for Terminal.app). any clarifications would be
appreciated.

thanks for bothering,

joerg