Re: [vile] What do I need to do to get £ sign (GBP , pound sterling) to

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] What do I need to do to get £ sign (GBP , pound sterling) to display in vile?
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 23:02:23 +0100

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 04:04:12PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 11:19:40AM -0700, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> > On 8 May 2014 04:07, Chris Green <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I guess I must have left out a compilation option (or something) when
> > > I built vile, I'm seeing '\u00A3' when I type £ (GBP pound sign).
> > > I.e. my UTF8 setting has gon awry somewhere.
> > >
> > > The GBP sign is actually entered correctly and displays OK when I cat
> > > the file in a terminal etc.  It's also working correctyl in xvile.
> >
> > The fact that it is displaying as \u00A3 and not \xC2\x83 says that
> > vile is built to handle unicode, and is correctly recognising the
> > file's encoding as utf-8 ($buf-encoding), but is unable to display it.
>
> Also (presumably) his locale settings are the same for vile and xvile.

Yes, vile is run in a terminal on the same X desktop as xvile.

> > What is $term-encoding? Which screen did you configure with? tcap,
> > curses? ncurses?

ncurses

> That can be checked using ":show-variables".  For instance I have this:
>
> $cfgopts = hypertext,locale,iconv,multibyte,perl,terminfo

I have:-

    $cfgopts = hypertext,locale,iconv,multibyte,perl,curses

> > For the record, this works for vile 9.8m for me on a Ubuntu machine
> > compiled with the default screen type of "tcap".
>
> same here...

It used to work for me at 9.8l running on xubuntu 13.10, I'm now
running 9.8m on xubuntu 14.04.

The terminal window can show the GBP characters OK so I don't think
this is down to locale setting. For the record:-

    chris$ locale
    LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
    LC_CTYPE=en_GB.utf8
    LC_NUMERIC=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_NAME=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_ADDRESS=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_TELEPHONE=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_GB.UTF-8
    LC_ALL=

Strangely if I ssh to another computer running xubuntu 14.04 and run
vile on that machine (but displaying in the terminal window on my
desktop) then GBP signs display OK.  That machine is running vile 9.8l.

... and if I do the reverse, ssh from the other machine to my desktop
machine and run my vile 9.8m in the other machine's terminal then the
GBP doesn't display.

Finally I have copied vile 9.8l from another 64-bit xubuntu 14.04
machine to this machine, running 9.8l I get GBP characters displayed
OK, running 9.8m I don't.  The only difference I can see is that the
9.8l is using terminfo rather than ncurses.
--
Chris Green