Re: [vile] blinking cursor wiht WinVile?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] blinking cursor wiht WinVile?
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:16:27 -0400

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 04:02:19PM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 09:35:17 -0400
> Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 03:18:20PM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Whenever I'm forced to work with Windows I alwasy install WinVile.
> > > At the moment I have a contract which requires using Windows.
> > >
> > > At the customer site I some how managed to get a blinking cursor
> > > in WinVile, but I have no idae how I did it.
> > >
> > > I'd also like to have a blinking cursor at home.  Makes it a lot
> > > easier to find it.
> > >
> > > Of course, it's easy under UNIX, but I haven't been able to find
> > > any useful information for Windows.
> > >
> > > So, is it possible?
> >
> > vile's not doing anything specific for this (I didn't recall, but grep
> > would have shown me).  But I see a clue in ntwinio.c in a comment:
> >
> >         /*
> >          * This is the undocumented (as near as I can tell)
> >          * WM_SYSTIMER event that seems to occur whenever the caret
> >          * blinks.  This is a background "noise" event that can
> >          * be ignored once dispatched.
> >          */
> >
> > Referring to
> >
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646968%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648397%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648404%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/208107-cursor-blink-rate-set.html
> >
> > it seems that allowing the caret (the drawn cursor) to blink is a feature
> > introduced in Vista, and might be configurable outside winvile as indicated
> > on the last page mentioned.  If so, it's a global setting (which means that
> > winvile shouldn't do this, itself).
> >
> > (I added a to-do item, though at the moment I'm deep in byacc and have xterm
> > next...).
> >

> Thanks.
>
> Turns out that the blink rate was already set.
>
> I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate at home and Windows 7 Pro at the customer
> site.

hmm - I have essentially the reverse (I might be able to reproduce this)

> Blinking works in e.g. Notepad and WinEd, but not in WinVile :(  Seems
> like Windows doesn't recognize the cursor in WinVile to be a caret, as
> Microsoft calls it.  Interestingly enough, both Notepad and MinEd use
> a vertical line for the cursor, whereas WinVile is using a block.  Can't
> say whether that really matters.

vile's using the api for carets, though there's an additional complication
in vile because it's doing polling, e.g., to provide usable screen updates
when running a shell command, as well as to sense whether a key is pressed.
(It's "usable" but not perfect since I get screen debris due to switching
modes).

Notepad doesn't do that - I'm not that familiar with Mined to guess.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net