Re: [vile] perl for vile on win32

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] perl for vile on win32
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:47:13 -0500

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 06:54:17PM +0000, Alex Wetmore wrote:
> I've been using vile for over 15 years on Windows, but finally got around to
> try and building a newer version.  My current build is from the late 90s.
>
> mkprvenv.wnt tells me to use the perl from CPAN:
> http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/ports/win32/Standard/x86/
>
> I have a very old copy of this, but it is too old to link against the current
> vile code.
>
> However that doesn't exist anymore.  ActiveState and Strawberry Perl are the
> replacements, but neither includes perl.lib and the other API components
> necessary to build vile against them.

yes...  I recall a discussion some time ago about this, essentially the same
comment without
Strawberry Perl.

For my own testing, I built the dll myself by compiling the sources for
Perl (but not recently:  I didn't see this working well, e.g., using
hlgrep, and didn't get much comments on the feature).  It's probably
still doable to compile the dll, but that raised a second issue:  would
that tie the binding to a specific version of Perl (and if so, how much
work would it be to distribute Perl along with vile).

> Where should I get a vile-compatible Perl for Win32?

I think we have to build it :-(

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net