Re: [vile] Fonts-Lucida typewriter?

From: Gary Jennejohn
Subject: Re: [vile] Fonts-Lucida typewriter?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 09:09:20 +0100

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 17:32:08 -0500
Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 10:01:45PM +0000, James Freer wrote:

> > > I see that in the app-defaults file, the menu font is
> > >         *menubar*font: lucidasans-10
> > > which is probably what you're seeing.  Currently the menus are
> > > configured once at startup, but the logic could be modified to
> > > make the menus use the same font as the rest of xvile (sounds like
> > > several hour's work - at the moment I've lynx and xterm fixes to work...)
>
> > Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at the vilemenu.rc and see what
> > i can deduce.
>
> actually, it seems that the resource (app-defaults) file is the immediate
> problem.   You can override that (if it's inconvenient to edit the installed
> app-defaults file) using a more-specific setting in your $HOME/.Xresources
> file for instance.  Something like
>       XVile*menubar*font: 8x13
> should work.  (I use XAPPLRESDIR instead - the X manpage gives a lot of
> possibilities).

Since we're talking about fonts...

I have WinVile installed at home (Vista) and at my customer's site
(Windows 7 Pro) and when I try to set the font WinVile finds a whole
slew of them under Vista but only about 6 at the customer's site.  I
know that many more fonts are installed under W7 Pro.

So, what could be different between Vista and W7 Pro which causes a
problem?  I'm no Windows expert since I usually run FreeBSD and must
admit that I have no idea about the internal workings of finding fonts
under Windows.

--
Gary Jennejohn