Re: [vile] rpm/fedora packaging?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] rpm/fedora packaging?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:35:02 -0400

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 05:15:11PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:

> tom -- did you say there was (the start of) a fedora spec file for
> vile living somewhere?

something like that.  There is a Fedora package (which I don't use,
because it doesn't set the paths for the shared-object filters correctly).

I use the spec-file that's in the package subdirectory with some caveats - it
and the debian stuff are in a subdirectory to avoid confusion with any
packager's patches, and I use a script that knows about that to build it.

My spec-file works (for me, anyway),
and as a side-effect I do get source-rpms.
It doesn't have explicit build-dependencies,
since unfortunately there is no standardization of package
names across Fedora/Mandriva/OpenSUSE.

Also, I haven't tested getting the source via ftp - it's
always from a SOURCES directory.

> i'm getting to the point where i might take that on -- packaging/
> maintaining, that is -- at least for a while.  i'm already maintaining
> a couple of other (much simpler) packages for work, so i'm sort of in
> the right place to do give it a try.
>
> besides, i'm starting to use ARM machines, and i can't just copy over
> vile binaries from somewhere else as easily as i used to.

sure - I've been preoccupied with other stuff, xterm and mawk.
Some of the xterm changes (icon stuff) I have in mind to reuse in vile.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net