Re: [vile] Is there any easy way to change indent globally?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Is there any easy way to change indent globally?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:50:30 -0400

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:25:47PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> Is there any easy way in vile/xvile to change the indenting of a file
> that uses spaces for indenting?

yes/no: vile has the entab and entab-leading (and corresponding detab)
commands, which can be used to alter the spaces to/from tabs (and with
a suitable macro, change the tab-interval).

"detab-lines-til"               ^A-<space>
  ( operator:  convert tabs to spaces in the region )
  ( undoable, accepts range, may follow global command )
"entab-lines-til"               ^A-^I
  ( operator:  convert spaces to tabs where possible in the region )
  ( undoable, accepts range, may follow global command )
"leading-detab-lines-til"       ^X-<space>
  ( operator:  convert leading tabs to spaces in the region )
  ( undoable, accepts range, may follow global command )
"leading-entab-lines-til"       ^X-^I
  ( operator:  convert leading spaces to tabs where possible in the region )
  ( undoable, accepts range, may follow global command )

I've used that, though not so much recently.  Over the past 10-12 years I've
mostly used some external indent program, combined with a script to let me
preview the changes and tweak the line-breaks.

Generally leading-entab is safer as I recall, since the plain entab doesn't
know about quoted strings in C, etc.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net