[vile] question about editing multiple files

From: hymie!
Subject: [vile] question about editing multiple files
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 09:09:17 -0500

Greetings.  I've been a vile user for years, and a question has come up.
I hope I can explain this correctly.

I have a directory with 20 files.  I have to edit all 20 files, and
I start off with a simple
vi *

This loads the files in alphabetical order.  But I'm not going to actually
edit the files in alphabetical order.  I will edit them in a random order
which I don't know until I'm actually editing them.  (The files refer to
each other, you see, and ^X-e is wonderful for this purpose).

So I edit file 1, and it refers me (say) to file 3, and then to file 6.
I'm done with that chain, so I use :n to edit file 2.  I edit file 2, and
it refers me (say) to file 9.  I'm done with that chain, so I use :n
to edit file 3.  But I've already edited file 3, and I'm ready to go to
file 4.

I know that all I have to do is hit :n again.  But I'm wondering if there
is some way that :n can be "taught" to skip the files that I've edited,
and only jump to the next unedited file.

Thanks.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    address@hidden