Re: [vile] dropdown control in buffer

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] dropdown control in buffer
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 06:48:25 -0500

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 06:32:05AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 02:30:08PM +1100, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> > >
> > > That's a question with more than one part. ?While I'm aware that there's
> > > an add-on (cream, which was inspired so to say by the menuing package
> > > that John Davis wrote for jed) which provides menus - your comment about
> > > "dropdown control" sounds as if you're referring to that, vim "normally"
> > > provides a simpler sort of completion (cycling through possibilities on
> > > the ":" line).
> >
> > I think that what ben is referring to are the built-in popups which
> > vim uses for insert completion and appear over the main window (see
> > example attached).
>
> I see (hadn't seen that before).  Reusing what vile already does (with
> the different completion buffers) would be fairly straightforward, first
> as a special insert-mode binding, and then possibly extending that into
> an insert-hook.
>
> Making the popup _at_ the cursor position would be more work, since there's
> no code that manages arbitrary windows.

I'm about 2/3 through this change, implemented as a macro that uses a new
function (to do the prompt, returning completions).  The remaining work is
in some new state variables that will give the position and size of the
variable such as $identifier which is used to get the insert/replace point.

I spend some time in between working on cross-compile (and got minvile
and convile to build), and thought of making the NullSoft script usable,
but too much time - so I'll finish the completion stuff and mark 9.8g

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net