Re: [vile] Is there any way to write to stdout?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Is there any way to write to stdout?
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:49:43 -0500

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 06:01:49PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> I want to use xvile as an element in a pipe, i.e. rather like:-
>
>     createSomeText | xvile | saveSomeText
>
> (I'm actually doing it from Python using the popen2() call but the
> effect is the same)
>
> I am feeding the text into xvile successfully, is there any way to get

that's because I made it handle that case ;-)

> xvile to write to stdout when I do ZZ to exit?  I'd prefer it to be
> automatic if possible, i.e. the user (me) will just see xvile pop up, do
> some editing, and then do ZZ to save and exit (with the 'save' going to
> stdout).

There's no technical limitation with regard to how X works, but
there's nothing in xvile that is handling it.  Offhand, it seems
doable.  To be seamless in the way you're suggesting, that would
be done by some special command (to write the current buffer to
stdout) that you could bind ZZ to (for example, with a macro).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net