Re: [vile] vile Digest, Vol 68, Issue 5

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile Digest, Vol 68, Issue 5
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 06:46:42 -0500

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 01:26:01PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 09:34:32AM -0800, ric smith wrote:
> >
> > Here are the command log, plus the other log files
> >
> > This was done with a recent downloaded version of vile - 9.8, on Lion 10.7.2
>
> ah.  That's even worse than I'd assume (for Mac OS X).
>
> >checking for reflex... no
> >checking for flex... flex
> >checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
> >checking lex output file root... dyld: Library not loaded:
> >/opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
> >  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/flex
> >  Reason: Incompatible library version: flex requires version 8.0.0 or
> > later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 7.0.0
> >./configure: line 3827: 84190 Done                    echo '%%
> >%%'
> >     84191 Trace/BPT trap: 5       | $LEX
> >configure: error: cannot find output from flex; giving up
>
> What it's saying is that whatever you've got for flex is newer or whatever
> than what's in the library.  However, that has to be "new" flex since it
> depends upon libiconv.  Aside from the handful of applications which use its
> reentrancy option, it's generally a step backward to be involved with it.
> (Even if the executable worked, you couldn't build vile reliably with it).
>
> Rather, use reflex
>
>       http://invisible-island.net/reflex/

by the way - I'm curious if programs compiled under Leopard need to
be recompiled under Lion.  I've been spending most of my time recently
on the other systems (since I'm doing more installs there), but could
compile an executable for Leopard if that helps.  (somewhere in my
to-do list I have a suggestion from someone to make dmg packages).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net