Re: [vile] Can one use another key for ESC?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Can one use another key for ESC?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:18:45 -0500

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 04:59:46PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> I have recently acquired an Amazon Kindle and, having installed
> shellinabox on my home server I can log in using the shellinabox
> terminal in the Kindle's web browser.  It's actually pretty usable.
>
> However I'm a bit stuck if I try and use vile (or any vi for that
> matter) as the Kindle can't easily send ESC.  Is there any way to use an
> alternative key code for ESC in vile?

ESC is bound to abort-command.  So you could change that:

        :bind-key abort-command whatever

I'm curious about "can't easily send ESC".  Is it that:

        a) there is no ESC key, or
        b) control/[ doesn't send that
        c) the code is treated specially in some way

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net