Re: [vile] Vile scripts path question

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Vile scripts path question
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:33:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Chris G wrote:

I have an odd error running a pre-compiled vile on a Centos 5.2 system
where I have a shell login account.

I have set the following in my environment:-

   export VILE_LIBDIR_PATH=$HOME/usr/share/vile
   export VILE_STARTUP_PATH=$HOME/usr/share/vile

All the vile .rc files and filter files are in $HOME/usr/share/vile.

When I start vile and it tries to do any syntax highlighting it shows
the following:-

That sounds like the problem (with _binary_ library path) that I've
mentioned.  To see the actual message, I used "vile -D" (which captures
stuff into the [Trace] buffer), and was able also to see the message.
In my case, I was invoking vile directly on a file to color, so it
wasn't convenient to tinker with the popup-msgs setting.  You could also
run vile and then

        :set popup-msgs
        :e whatever-your-filename-is

(offhand, the only 32-bit Redhat I have is for Fedora 5 - rather old - though I have a mix of other 32-bit machines).

If I run vile on a non-program file where it doesn't try to do syntax
highlighting it works OK.

So what's going on?

--
Chris Green