Re: [vile] utf-8 newbie

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] utf-8 newbie
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:29:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Paul Fox wrote:

thomas wrote:

> perhaps this - easy to check:
>
> until 9.8d/e, vile would rely upon having (installed in the system) locale
> data for en_US and en_US.UTF-8, which was workable for several years until
> Ubuntu (and others, though iirc, Ubuntu was the first) reduced their
> locale support.
>
> In 9.8d, I added a builtin table (about 70kb) to provide that information
> (but there was a remaining bug that I fixed in 9.8e).
>
> If "locale -a" doesn't list en_US, that's the first place to consider.

locale -a reports en_US.utf8 but not en_US.  i see that even upgrading
to ubuntu natty would only get me vile 9.8d, so i guess i should build
a copy.

> On other fronts, someone's packaged vile for Fedora, but (the last I

excellent!

> checked a couple of weeks ago), it's got a problem with the library
> path, making most syntax filters fail to load.  It's a nuisance when I
> update with yum, since my working package gets overwritten.  So I have a
> to-do to write a comparable (but working) rpm spec...
>
> At the moment I'm working on dialog, expecting to go to xterm next - based
> on how big my backlog is - sorry for being slow to get back to vile
> (dialog has a lot of work due to the recent adoption in FreeBSD).

i know there were reasons in the past that you didn't publish your
source tree(s) -- is that still true?  i'm sure i'm not the only one
that would appreciate being able to see the current state-of-the-code.
actually, what i want it for more often is for historical stuff --
"when did that change happen that i didn't notice at the time?"

various reasons - except for the web/ftp area (for which I pay rent),
none of my machines are "on" the network (I forget whether the current
backend ISP allows servers, but that was disallowed by the former one).

Habit, etc.

Offhand (no exact figure since I keep most archives bzip'd), I've got
about 700-800Mb of stuff in source-archives.  Adding that to my existing
web/ftp would max out the quota.  (It's a relatively inexpensive setup).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net