Re: [vile] Strange problems entering extended UTF-8 characters in xvile

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Strange problems entering extended UTF-8 characters in xvile
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:01:08 +0100

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:19:43PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Chris G wrote:
>
> >I'm having some odd problems entering accented (and other) characters in
> >xvile.   That is I'm having problems *entering* the characters, when
> >they are entered correctly they display OK and are correctly encoded etc.
>
> I think we're making progress :-(
>
> >The first problem is that using the 'Multi_key' to enter the characters
> >only works sometimes, I haven't really worked out when it does and
> >doesn't work, most of the time it just does nothing.  The Multi_key
> >works correctly in every other application I have tested (e.g. firefox
> >text boxes, command line windows, vile, etc.).
>
> ok... (something to research).
>
> >Secondly, even though I'm running digraphs.rc when I start xvile the
> >CTRL-K sequence to enter accented characters doesn't work for some
> >sequences.  E.g. CTRL-K i ^ produces an i with a circumflex but CTRL-K e
> >' produces ^Ke'.  In fact, looking into it further, it seems that only
> >the acute accent sequences aren't working.  Is it possibly that the \'
> >in digraphs.rc isn't being interpreted correctly?  Sequences without a \
> >seem to be OK.  (This problem is present in vile as well as in xvile)
>
> hmm - perhaps that's a problem resulting from one of the quoting fixes I
> made a while back.  If I type (literally) the "\" in CTRL-K E \ '
> then I get the accented character that the comment suggests.

You're right, CTRL-K E \ ' does produce an é, at least that allows me to
enter one in xvile!  :-)

> >Finally, if I paste an é into an xvile window I sometimes get an é and
> >sometimes I get é.
>
> Is that from the same source?  (uxterm marks selections as utf8-strings,
> while some other sources do not).

Yes, just repeatedly hitting the 'middle' button produces this mixture.
I've just been trying this again and it seems to be very variable and
unpredictable.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's not as if it's
a major requirement!  :-)

--
Chris Green