Re: [vile] Utf-8 word movement broken.

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Utf-8 word movement broken.
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 06:45:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Ramil Farkhshatov wrote:

Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 09:15:04PM +0300, Ramil Farkhshatov wrote:
Hello.

Recently, I've noticed, that 'next-punctuated-word' in utf-8 cyrillic
text can move cursor inside a word.  'next-word' acts fine.  I couldn't
find exact letters that act like punctuation, but the issue can be
reproduced on these lines (utf-8):
абвгодеёжзийклмнопрстуфхцчшщьъюэюя
АБВГОДЕЁЖЗИЙКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЬЪЮЭЮЯ
ЗЕЛЁНЫЙ
зелёный

It seems that it has been broken by 9.8c patch.

System info
OS/Distro: Arch Linux
Locale: ru_RU.UTF-8
vile-9.8[cd]

Your message indicates that you're using 9.8d
However, with 9.8d (or current code, which shouldn't
be different in this case), I cannot reproduce this.
That's with Debian 6.0 and 5.0.

Using

:set sc
:show-wide-printable

it seems that vile is seeing all of the characters in
the same as alphabetic (either upper or lower).

On my system 'show-wide-printable' does not show cyrillic letters at
all.  But after ':set sc' modeline shows utf-8 char codes correctly.
(file-encoding=locale, if this information is useful)

perhaps this is (yet another) problem with my workaround for the "narrow" locale. What does "locale -a" say on your system?

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net