Re: [vile] Non-us keyboard layout mishandling.

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Non-us keyboard layout mishandling.
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:23:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Thomas Dickey wrote:

Is that the wide-character version of ncurses?  (libncursesw).
ncursesw provides get_wch(), which decoded the UTF-8.  For instance, I
use the ncurses test-programs to check this area.

I linked my test-program against ncursesw.  get_wch() just hangs and
does not return for a long time when I enter something cyrillic.
getchar() and getch() returns multiple values for each keypress, which I
decode to ensure that the encoding is UTF-8.  Don't know whether this
information is relevant/useful since vile does not use get_wch().

I forgot to ask if your test-program uses setlocale(), e.g.,
             setlocale(LC_ALL, "");

though I'm unsure what would cause get_wch() to hang.  A debug-trace could
show the problem.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net