Re: [vile] Using '\' char in key bindings

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Using '\' char in key bindings
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:12:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, address@hidden wrote:

I can interactively set this key binding.

bind-key paste-from-primary ^X-\

And the binding works. However if I place that line in my .vilerc and start
xvile I get the following error message:

I see how to make it work.  What I did was

:show-history

and saw that it was stored as

bind-key paste-from-primary "^X-\\"

and sourcing that seems to work (no error messages, etc).

[Not a proper key-sequence]

I've tried doubling the '\' in case it is being interpreted as an escape
character, same result.

In a script, vile recognizes quoted strings (double- and single-quotes),
and those are supposed to match(*) the way the history mechanism saves/restores tokens. Interactively, it translates to/from that form.

(*) if it doesn't, that's a bug of course

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net