Re: [vile] Configuration help wanted for .vilemenu and font resources

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Configuration help wanted for .vilemenu and font resources
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 08:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010, Chris G wrote:

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 11:43:37AM +0100, Chris G wrote:
I have a couple of minor configuration niggles that I can't work out.

I have xvile 9.8 running on two Ubuntu 10.04 systems, one is my
desktop system running xubuntu and the other is a server system
running ubuntu server.  They have identical .vilerc, .vilemenu and
.app-defaults.  However they don't both work the same.

When I ssh to the server system and run xvile there to display on my
desktop (ssh -X) the menu is as specified by the resources in
.app-defaults/XVile:-

    XVile.menuBackground: grey70
    XVile.menuForeground: black

hmm - I see that this has "never" worked as you might expect.

I started to answer by suggesting that it might be due to some
difference from xvile's assumptions in widget hierarchy.  Then
I saw that the resource value would be shown in a debug trace.

So... I compiled xvile with a debug trace to give an example.
But it did not appear there. The answer is the value for OPT_MENUS_COLORED (defined in estruct.h to 0). That's been
that way since it was added in 1998.

I can add a configure option, but for a quick fix just editing estruct.h
will get something that responds to the resource settings.  When I
do that, I see immediately that there's a change, and that the resource
setting is honored.

hth

--
Thomas E. Dickey