Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a r

From: Brendan O'Dea
Subject: Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a remote client?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:33:17 +1000

On 24 August 2010 00:22, Chris G <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hmmm, I've finally got back to this problem, I can't get XAPPLRESDIR
> to do anything useful at all.
>
> I've removed my .Xresources file so that xrdb doesn't automatically
> load the resources.  (xrdb -q returns nothing about xvile, so that has
> worked)
>
> I've copied the Xvile resources to ~/.app-defaults/Xvile and I have
> set XAPPLRESDIR to point to it:-
>
>    export XAPPLRESDIR=~/.app-defaults/Xvile

Did you mean to include the trailing Xvile here?  You should not
include it in the variable.  Note also that the filename should have a
capital "V".

> I have checked by doing 'cat $XAPPLRESDIR/Xvile' and the resources appear.
>
> This is all on my desktop machine and it doesn't work, xvile doesn't
> pick up its resources this way.  If I do an 'xrdb $XAPPLRESDIR/Xvile'
> then xvile gets its resources.

Try running:

  appres XVile

to see what resources xvile is actually getting.  You may also wish to try:

  strace -etrace=file appres XVile

to see from which files the resources are being loaded.  Note that you
won't see any file operations for ~/.Xresources or
/etc/X11/Xresources/*, as those are typically loaded into the server
with xrdb when your X Session starts.

--bod