Re: [vile] Now I have a problem with xvile

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Now I have a problem with xvile
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 05:40:45 -0500

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 04:32:02PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Chris G wrote:
>
> >Oh dear, I have another extended character problem, this time with xvile.
> >
> >I have built xvile from exactly the same patched 9.7za2 source that I
> >just built vile from.
> >
> >When I enter £ (UK pound) signs (see, they work in vile!) I actually
> >get £, that's displayed in xvile *and* actually in the file.  So this
> >time it's not a display problem, it's a character entry issue.
>
> It sounds as if xvile is putting UTF-8 codes into a buffer, but its
> file-encoding is 8bit (will see - thanks)

I don't have any ideas here, expect to make a debug-version (configure
--with-trace) and (using a short .vilerc of course) see what xvile is
reading for the data).

> >Entering accented characters seems to work fine, the only errors I can
> >find are with the £ (UK pound sign) and ¬ (don't quite know what this
> >is) which also gets an  (upper case A with circumflex accent) in front
> >of it.

Those both work "here", and are in the Latin-1 range.  But for your locale,
I'd assume most characters are in that range, so (aside from xkb issues),
they all should work.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net