Re: [vile] I've got my 'wide' characters display problem back - in 9.7z

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] I've got my 'wide' characters display problem back - in 9.7z
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:09:29 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Chris G wrote:

I have recently moved to vile 9.7z and have got my problem with
extended characters not displaying properly back again.

I.e. the problem is that things like accented characters and pound
signs (UK currency) display within vile as wierd sequences like:-

   UK pound - \u00A3
   e acute - \u00E9
   e grave - \u00E8

vile would show that if it decided that the terminal could not display
UTF-8 (though mostly it's paying attention to the locale, which should
work).

This time I *have* compiled with:-

   ./configure --with-perl --with-screen=ncursesw

It seems to work for me, here. I have a set of test-files that I use for checking the Latin-1 codes versus the Unicode values which are the "same"

Here

:show-variables

shows (among other things):

$buf-encoding = UTF-8
$cfgopts = hypertext,locale,iconv,multibyte,perl,curses

Also, in :setall, I have nounicode-as-hex (near the bottom, in the window section).

Locale settings are all en_GB.UTF-8, platform is xubuntu 9.10 with
2.6.31-17-generic kernel.

The characters are actually correct, it's just their display in vile
that's wrong.

--
Chris Green