Re: [vile] default colors in 9.7y

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] default colors in 9.7y
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 08:40:17 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 07:30:12 -0500 (EST)
Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
I generally use cornsilk2 and most of the highlighting is unreadable
with a light background :(

It's really just a suggested set of settings - we can add different
flavors.

Well, I have all kinds of values set for XVile in my .Xdefaults.  Up to
now (i.e. pre-9.7y) they just worked.

yes... I know what you mean.

Part of the problem is that xvile loads subresources (which is good and bad). The good part is that it works, the bad part is that it makes overriding a system's app-defaults more complicated.

Investigating that is why I added some debug-traces in x11.c recently. (iirc, I decided that it was working as designed, and that I couldn't do much to improve the C code).

If you can post your resource-settings (.Xdefaults, etc), I can try to
make some recommendations on how to make that work properly again.

I use Xvile as my editor for emails, and when I wanted to compose a
mail after installing 9.7y I suddenly had white text on cornsilk2 -
unreadable :(  Und very weird.

Now I've set the background to white, which is OK, but not my prefernce.

I suppose I could play around with the settings in .Xdefaults.

caveat - it does get messy.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net