Re: [vile] Accented characters (or not) in 9.7x

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Accented characters (or not) in 9.7x
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:53:42 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Chris G wrote:

Having got my vile 9.7x installed and mostly working I just tried to
send an E-Mail in French.  Accented characters no longer work as they
did.

I'll try to reproduce this - but need to know

        a) locale
        b) platform
        c) is this "vile" or "xvile", and
        d) is it built with curses/ncurses/Xaw/Xm

thanks

When I enter an accented character, either with the vile compose key
or with the X compose key it results in a very odd sequence of
characters being displayed. For example when I enter an e with an
acute accent I see (in vile):-

   M-CM-)

The character is actually correct, if I look at the file after saving
the e-acute is there.

Thus the problem is in vile's display of the character, not with the
actual code being entered.

--
Chris Green