Re: [vile] online help-file

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] online help-file
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 19:06:45 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009, J. Chris Coppick wrote:

Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009, Paul Fox wrote:

thomas wrote:

I'm considering moving vile.hlp to html (and generating the vile.hlp
file used within the editor from that).  Here's a very first try at
converting it (no hyperlinks yet):

http://invisible-island.net/vile/vile-hlp.html

I think this will break the Help extension, but that's not the end
of the world.  Someone remind me to fix it later.

Offhand, the candidates for generating the text file seem to be lynx and (e)links(2), which both put the main-headings in column 1, which seems to be all that Help.pm needs. (I mention elinks since 2-3 of the tables exceed lynx's ability to look nice - in particular the one for built-in functions, though on the other hand relying on nice but undocumented behavior isn't good either ;-).

I did look at w3m also, but it puts everything in column 1...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net