Re: [vile] :map and unicode

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] :map and unicode
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:59:29 -0500

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 07:51:48PM +0100, Christopher Illies wrote:
> I would like to map to a unicode character. For example "^Ks," should
> become "ș" (unicode 0x219). For this I type: :map! ^V^Ks, ^Vu219 and
> vile actually displays the ş character correctly, also when showing
> all the mappings with :map!. But when I type ^Ks, in insert mode, some
> asian charaters appear and not the expected ş.
>
> I use vile-9.7 on FreeBSD-7, my locale is set to en_US.UTF-8.
>
> Strangely, in the "digraphs.rc" file the digraphs seem to be mapped to
> iso-8859 characters, which are not displayed correctly by vile, but

actually that's the _comments_ which don't display.  I can fix that by
using a modeline setting to tell vile that the file is written in
iso-8859-x (8bit), but the commands are given in 7-bit ASCII...

> using this digraphs.rc file works. Unfortunately some characters are
> missing, as for example the ş.

It works because vile decides what to do with the code according to
the buffer in which it's inserted.  (The problem with mapping codes
outside the 0-255 range is different such as ş - I'm looking into that,
now).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net