Re: [vile] Temp files in spell filter

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Temp files in spell filter
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:51:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Decklin Foster wrote:

The spell filter currently creates temporary files in vile's current
directory. This fails in any case where the directory is not writable by

(thanks ;-)

the user. I've attached a patch to make the filter try TMPDIR from the
environment and fall back to /tmp. I have not searched the rest of the
code for other places that this might be a problem.

Note: Since the value of an environment variable could be long enough
to overflow I made open_tempfile take the buffer size as well and use
snprintf.

(I am totally unclear on why the spell filter needs temp files, but hey,
I just wanted things to work so I could send an email... :-)

It's done that way since (other than modifying npopen.c to allow
multiple concurrent pipes) there's no clean way to read and write
a buffered-I/O pipe.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net