Re: [vile] vile-pager

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-pager
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:51:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

I'm talking about Debian here.. it is installed.. though I get the complaint
trying to use vile-pager.
But, why do we need it.. is calling HighlightFilter not enough?

no - HighlightFilter doesn't do the same type of markup as vile-manfilt.

The former adds markup which vile reprocesses to show bold- and other
fonts or colors.  After the reprocessing, the buffer contents should be
the same text as before adding markup.

The latter substitutes one type of markup for another - and attempts to
leave the "real" text untouched.

It's also inconvent, because it seems to me.. that now the file is always
fed to vile via stdin.. and thus the suffix mode detection fails.

yes, that's a limitation of piping a file to vile.  In that case, the
only clue it has for the contents would be the first line (the "preamble"). I suppose it there were a command that could set the
majormode from a parameter as if the parameter were the filename,
then one could enhance vile-pager, e.g.,

        cat foo.c | vile-pager -name foo.c

but you can use "set-h" to set a specific type with the existing
commands, so it would be possible to modify vile-pager to do
something like

        cat foo.c | vile-pager -type c

and make that show the buffer contents in "c" mode (cmode).

(Did that make sense?)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net