Re: [vile] vile-9.6k.patch.gz

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.6k.patch.gz
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:58:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

Actually... there is one thing I'd like to discuss.
If file-encoding is set to auto, it will inspect the buffer to decide
what to do which seems to default to '8bit' to my systems (inspecting
$encoding) when editting an empty/new file.
It would IMO be more sane to set the default based on the locale.
I have set LC_CTYPE to an UTF-8 locale exactly for that purpose.
If this is done, this still works for editting latin1/latin9 files
or ASCII files.

What do you think?

offhand yes (will check).  I seem to recall just implementing the default
to '8bit' to make it more consistent with previous behavior.  But I'll
look/see if that's all that's involved.

thanks

--
Thomas E. Dickey