Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:34:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

Hello everyone,

I use vile in a terminal that is 90 chars wide.  However, I always
insert/edit with wrapwords on so my lines are never wider than
80 chars.
However, sometimes I co-author documents with others that use
the paradigm where a newline is a new paragraph, not a new line.
For me, by default, these lines look enormously long, so I
turn linewrap on for these documents.  Two questions remain:

* Can I make linewrap also respect the 80 char boundary so that
  lines by others look like my lines.
* Can I make linewrap do wordwrapping.. that is not cut a word
  in two if the 90 (or preferebly 80) char boundary is reached?

That could be implemented, as Paul notes. I _think_ that it could be done all in display.c, as a further layer on top of the existing logic that calls mk_to_vcol, dot_to_vcol, etc.

(at the moment I'm working on the fixes for locale, so it doesn't need
two locales installed - hoping to complete that today)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net